Friday, February 29, 2008

Fat Boys Have It Easier Than Fat Girls

I am not one of those people who tries to pretend there is some upside to being born a female (but there is). I just try to remind myself things like "at least I'm not blind!" and "at least I wasn't born in Algeria!" etc. etc. when I get all down feeling. Because we get less pay and less respect and more hormones and more emotions and more responsibilities and more vulnerability to STDs and, it even turns out today, we get more emotional distress when our husbands or boyfriends get cancer than they even do.

So anyways, no, this "NEWS" is not going to shock you, but it is much easier to be a fat boy than it is a fat girl. Writer Sandy Hingston has a chubby son and daughter, and while the son, a football player, looks at his size as something of an awesome feat, her daughter got an eating disorder. "By 10th grade, she was Kate Moss-thin. I was impressed by her self-control -- until her hair began to fall out in clumps." Check out her story- if you're still surprised that's it's harder to be a fat girl than a fat boy.

No comments: