Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Netflix and One Meeelion Dollars

I used to be a Netflix subscriber (and then a Blockbuster subscriber) - but I remember the first few weeks, I would rush the movie out the door like an obsesso just to get another one and "get my money's worth". Anyways, around week 4, I start to wane and don't pick any movies... so Netflix usually just picks for me based on what I've previously watched.

Well, last year, Netflix, hoping to widen its lead in the online DVD rental market, dangled a $1 million reward to anyone who could improve upon the company's current movie-recommendation software by at least 10 percent. Unfortunately, you have to have some kind of tech knowledge... but as of right now, they've had 27,000 unsucessful contestants and only one group has gotten close (8.5%). Any ideas?

No comments: