Friday, December 7, 2007

I'm Not A Part of Shopbop's Target Market

I just wanted to take a moment out of my day to relay the fact that I am clearly not Shopbop’s target market. I received an e-mail from Shopbop today and was initially drawn by the subject line “Busy Girls Need Fabulous Clothes.” I think we can all agree on that statement, correct? So, I open the e-mail.

1. The first image is a girl in her pajamas at 9:45 am that needs NEW clothes to hit the coffee shop to check her e-mail – CLEARLY a “girl about town”. Another joke is the fact that she is shopping for a dress for the “office party.” Note: she has blown out hair, clearly woke up to get her hair done. Busy Busy….

2. At 11:30 am (with a fresh set of clothes), she is shopping for jeans, which a “girl can NEVER have too many”. I beg to differ – another clear reason why I’m not the Shopbop target market. Oh, what happened to looking for the “office party dress?” Oh wait, “I don’t need one, because I don’t have a job”


3. At 3:15, the girl is having a “late lunch” with her boyfriend… I guess since she woke up at 10:00 a.m, breakfast was at 11:00 am, so clearly, she can hold out until 3:15 to have lunch. Me, on the other hand, when both hands hit “12”- I am OUT. I’ve already discussed in lengthy detail what I’m going to eat- at least in my head. Of course, our Shopbop girl has to change again – into that cute (yet UGLY) number her boyfriend likes! That’s what I need – to dress just for him. Yeah- girl power!


4. The last image depicts our heroine “out for cocktails” at around 10:15 pm. After such a strenuous day, she deserves a stiff drink. So, while everyone is having a mimosa, she’ll take a Screwdriver. But, everyone else is such a hard worker, too - and so everyone deserves a drink, “cocktails all around” on her because she is raking in the BIG bucks.

I know what you’re thinking, “Lorraine, you’re not giving her a fair shot, it could be Saturday.” Yes, you’re right, it could be Saturday, but then I couldn’t have vented about shopbop and their ridiculous ads. What about her day is busy? Am I missing something? I NEED fabulous clothes, I am BUSY. That’s it.

1 comment:

HLB said...

I completely agree! I saw this email last week and was stunned...I too need fabulous clothes and am actually BUSY! :)