Thursday, November 1, 2007

Hingis Is "Blow"ing Off Her Career

Former world number one Martina Hingis is retiring from tennis amidst news that she tested positive for cocaine at this year’s Wimbledon. “I have tested positive, but I have never taken drugs and I feel 100% innocent,” Martina said in a statement. “The reason I have come out with this is because I do not want to have a fight with anti-doping authorities. Because of my age and my health problems, I have also decided to retire from professional tennis.” (Sidenote: Hingis is 27.)

To her credit, Hingis underwent a privately arranged hair test which came back negative for cocaine and stated, "I would think that it would be impossible for anyone to maintain the coordination required to play top class tennis while under the influence of drugs. And I know one other thing - I would personally be terrified of taking drugs."

I guess you can take steroids and other performance enhancing supplements, but you can't do coke.

No comments: