Monday, June 9, 2008

Mine Is White

There was a piece on NPR today about marketing gadgets to women. Molly Wood, host of the CNET podcast "The Gadgettes," is one of the interviewees, and she tells NPR that one of her favorite gadgets marketed towards women is the Nintendo DS Lite. Wood describes it as not specifically designed for women, though it is "cute and small and portable." In addition, the games are "fun without being hardcore or alienating." I can agree to that, but I've been a long time gamer. I frankly think marketing the DS with rhinestones all over it just for women AND the fact that it's pink is just insulting. I purposely don't buy pink gadget items, just because I think they look juvenile. Another example- my camera comes in black, silver and PINK. Does the fact that I look like a female not enough that I need ALL of my accessories to be pink, so I can announce my femininity?

No comments: