Friday, September 7, 2007

Common Latin Phrases We Pretend To Know...

Luckily, I knew all of these. hahah.. The accompanying article/explanation is really interesting. I really like the author's description of "quid pro quo" aka: the lubricant of the legal system. I just need to learn how to talk like that. Great....


1. Persona Non Grata: (puhr-SOH-nah non GRAH-tah): "An unacceptable person"


2. Habeas Corpus: (HAY-bee-as KOR-pus): "You have the body"


3. Cogito Ergo Sum: (CO-gee-toe ER-go SOME): "I think, therefore I am"


4. E Pluribus Unum: (EE PLUR-uh-buhs OOH-nuhm): "Out of many, one"


5. Quid Pro Quo: (kwid proh KWOH): "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours"


6. Ad Hominem: (ad HAH-mi-nem): "To attack the man"


7. Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam: (ad-MA-yor-em DAY-ee GLOR-ee-um): "All for the Greater Glory of God"

8. Sui Generis:(SOO-ee JEN-er-is): "Of its own genus," or "Unique and unable to classify"

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/personal/08/31/latin.words/index.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never heard of 3, 7 or 8. I blog therefore I am. heehee