Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Earn More Than Your Man?

I personally hope that this is never me... oh wait, this won't ever be a problem... you would need a male counterpart first. Even as an accountant I suffered through male egos... I remember on my first date with "Brett" (also an accountant) - he was obsessed with beating me at something! I worked at a large public firm, while he worked at some no-name practive... so the questions ensued... "What was your GPA?", "What was your SAT score, how about ACT?", "What was your rank?"... it was unbelievable! Come on- beating an Asian in standardized testing? He should have asked me what I benched...

Anyways, a recent “New York Times” story focused on the problems some high-earning women are having in the dating arena. The men they have been going out with are, to some degree at least, having trouble with the fact that these women are now the breadwinners.

This is understandable. Women as the primary wage earners is a big shift. On average it is true that men working full-time still outearn women working full-time. But it is also true that since the 1970s almost all the income growth in this country has come from women. Today, 30 to 40 percent of women earn as much or more than their husbands. The younger a woman is, the likelier she is to outearn men her age. And research predicts that by the year 2030 the average woman will outearn the average man.

So, here are the tips... (Note: the opinions expressed in the NYT do not consitute policy of Lorraine.)

Talk and listen to each other.

Be his biggest cheerleader.

Open yours, mine and ours accounts. - YES - OF COURSE.

Recognize that marriage changes things.

No comments: