Thursday, October 11, 2007

For My Globe Trotting Friends...

I tip 20% as a matter of course, so I found this article really interesting. I have attached a guide as to "Hot To Tip" in 70 other countries... According to the guide, tipping is not practiced in 11 countries -- Brunei, Malaysia, Japan, Oman, New Zealand, Samoa, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, United Arab Emirates and Vietnam. In most countries, travelers are expected to tip to a waiter or waitress 10%, pay the equivalent of $1 per bag to a porter and round the taxi fare to the next unit of the local currency.

Note that although the majority of the above countries are Asian, China is not amongst them...

China is just one of several countries where tips had been uncommon but where an increasing number of service workers are expecting them. And why would that be? Americans routinely tip while abroad, and that, according to experts, is driving the trend. And, as practices change, many business travelers are finding it all very baffling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Recently my friend from Manchester was telling me that in England they add tip to the bill but also get I think about 5% on top of it. It is interesting to see what everyone else is doing